Friday, December 13, 2013

Accepting Help From Others

Let's be honest, no one can have it all or do it all without a lot of help from others.  From the time we are born until the time we leave this earth, we are constantly giving and receiving help.  It is what helps create strong relationships.  We have family, friends, coworkers, neighbors, congregants, and even strangers all in a constant string of sharing and helping. 

When we give help to others, we feel good that we have done a good deed for the day.  We feel as though we have made a difference in that person's life even for a few moments of the day.  Think about even the smallest gesture that makes all the difference.  It could be as simple as be holding the door open for another person behind you to giving your newspaper to someone else to read after you've finished. Sometimes you don't even realize how much of an impact a simple gesture can make.

And then there are the times when you need help the most.  Strangely, those are the times that are sometimes hardest to accept help.  You may be frustrated that you cannot do for yourself or embarrassed that things have gotten so out of hand that you feel lost.  These are the days that we need to be able to accept a generous offer from a friend, family member, coworker, neighbor or even stranger. 

At 9 months pregnant and on limited bed rest, this is something I've had to become comfortable with rather quickly.  I have good days and bad days where I feel completely lost and helpless since I cannot do the simplest task like lifting my 33 lb son up to wash his hands in the bathroom to doing a load of laundry from start to finish.  I am so fortunate to have friends and family who have jumped in and offered to help.  From the endless loads of laundry and dishes to the simple task of pulling the bones out of chicken soup, these tasks have allowed me to relax and rest at a time when my body needed it most.

I hope that in the near future I will have the ability to do the same for those who have helped me the most and for those who weren't able to help.  I hope that I will be able to pay it forward to whoever is in need of help at a time when I am most able to provide assistance.

The wonderful thing about giving is that it doesn't need to cost a penny to be valued.  Most days, I'd much prefer someone come over an play with my son for 2 hours while I sleep to anything they could buy me.

This sentiment rings true during the holiday season (both the Jewish holidays and others).  As much as everyone may love to receive gifts during the holidays, it is the time and effort given to those you love and those you don't even know that give the holidays meaning and value.  During this holiday season, consider giving your time, energy, or money to those who need help.  You will feel good that you've given to those in need and you will make that person's day that much brighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment